🎬⏰  Our Timeline Hub  —  every franchise in chronological order  →
MCU

Marvel Sets “Ghost Rider” For July 2028, So Where’s The Horror?

Marvel has just told you what kind of Ghost Rider movie this is going to be, and it managed it without releasing a frame of footage, a logline, or a single cast name beyond the one everybody already had. It did it with a date. “Ghost Rider” opens on July 28, 2028, which is peak summer real estate, the weekend studios reserve for the films they expect everyone to see rather than the films they expect a certain kind of person to see. For a character whose entire appeal is that he is a horror figure who wandered into a superhero universe, that is a genuinely loaded piece of scheduling.

The film itself has been public since San Diego Comic-Con in July, when Ryan Gosling walked out into Hall H alongside a motorcycle and Marvel confirmed him as Johnny Blaze. Shawn Levy is directing and Jonathan Tropper is writing, and the date announcement roughly a month later is the first hard piece of information anyone has added since. There is no other cast, no villain, no first-look image and no rating. What there is instead is a release slot, a creative team, and a set of very obvious questions that nobody at Marvel has answered yet.

Marvel has just told you what kind of Ghost Rider movie this is going to be, and it managed it without releasing a frame of footage, a logline, or a single cast name beyond the one everybody already had.”

Here is the part that got buried under the date, and it is the most interesting thing about the whole project. Levy, Gosling and Tropper are the exact same three people currently making “Star Wars: Starfighter,” which opens on May 28, 2027. Same director, same lead, same screenwriter, two rival tentpole franchises, fourteen months apart, under the same corporate roof. That is not a coincidence and Levy did not pretend it was one. “We spent a lot of time last year making ‘Starfighter,’ and the opportunity as Ryan started talking about this character, I was like, ‘Bro let’s ride,'” he told the Hall H crowd. Gosling’s own framing was blunter still: “As you know, this is a character I’ve wanted to play for a very long time. But if we’re really going to do this, there’s only one director who can do it.”

Read Levy’s run in order and it starts to look less like a director’s filmography and more like a Disney hiring policy. He was on that same Comic-Con stage two years earlier with “Deadpool & Wolverine,” which remains the only R-rated film Marvel Studios has ever released and which made an absurd amount of money. Then Lucasfilm handed him a Star Wars movie built around a brand-new corner of the galaxy. Now Marvel has handed him a second character, and he is delivering both films inside fourteen months of each other. Whatever else you think about the strategy, Disney has clearly decided Levy is the safest pair of hands it has for launching something from scratch.

Which brings us back to that July date, because it is doing more work than a release announcement usually does. Ghost Rider is a demon-possessed stunt rider who burns the souls of the guilty out of their bodies with a stare. That is a horror premise, and horror premises get October dates, or they get an R rating and a February slot, or they get both. July 28 is where you put a four-quadrant summer picture that families will see twice. Marvel has essentially pre-announced that this is a PG-13 crowd-pleaser with a flaming skull in it, and the interesting question is whether that is a betrayal of the character or the only sane way to make him work at this budget.

There is a decent counter-argument, and Levy is standing right in the middle of it. The man made “Deadpool & Wolverine,” so if anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt on tonal risk inside a Marvel tentpole, it is him. He also has a track record of getting genuinely strange material past a mainstream audience without sanding it flat. Nobody has said a word about the rating either way, and a summer date does not technically forbid one, even if the last twenty years of studio behaviour suggest otherwise. We would simply point out that the date came out first, and dates tend to be decided by people who already know the answer.

The slot around it is crowded in a way Marvel has not attempted in years. 2028 currently holds three Marvel Studios films: the “X-Men” reboot on May 5, “Ghost Rider” on July 28, and “Black Panther 3” on December 15. That is the first three-film year since 2025, a year that did not go especially well for anyone involved, and it lands on the other side of “Avengers: Doomsday” and “Avengers: Secret Wars” resetting the board. Marvel is betting that by 2028 the audience will have an appetite for three of these again. Slotting an unproven character in the middle of that year, between a reboot everybody is watching and a sequel to one of the biggest films the studio has ever made, is a real vote of confidence in Gosling.

It is worth remembering that Ghost Rider has been to the movies before and it did not go brilliantly. Nicolas Cage played Johnny Blaze twice for Sony, in 2007 and again in “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance” in 2012, and the second one in particular has aged into a cult curiosity rather than a franchise. The best screen version of the character since then was not a film at all: Robbie Reyes (Gabriel Luna) turned up in the fourth season of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” in 2016 and quietly became the best thing in it, on a television budget, with a Dodge Charger instead of a motorcycle. Marvel fans have been asking for a proper swing at this character ever since, which is a lot of accumulated goodwill to hand a summer release date.

What we still do not know is close to everything. There is no confirmed villain, though the usual names have been floating around online without a shred of confirmation attached to them, and we are not going to print rumours as though they were casting news. Kevin Feige has been notably hands-off in public about the details, saying only that he is going to let Gosling reveal what he wants to reveal when he wants to reveal it, and noting that the actor is a serious reader of the comics. That is a studio head describing a passion project rather than an assignment, which is usually a good sign. With two years to go and Starfighter landing first, we will almost certainly learn the shape of this film from Levy and Gosling long before Marvel puts out a trailer.

What Do You Think? Does a peak-summer July date mean Marvel has already decided Ghost Rider is a PG-13 blockbuster rather than the horror picture the character deserves, or is Shawn Levy exactly the director who can smuggle the nasty version through? Is handing one director and one star two rival Disney franchises inside fourteen months a sign of confidence or a sign the studio is running short of people it trusts? And after Nicolas Cage and Gabriel Luna, what does this version actually have to do to make the Rider stick?

Catch up properly: every MCU movie and show in chronological order on our Timeline Hub’s MCU timeline.

See you on the next binge!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *